About the Amgen Scholars Canada Program
The Amgen Scholars Canada Program is an immersive, 10-week program of research experience, professional development and social activities. Program features include:
- Research experience
- Conducting research in the laboratory of a leading U of T faculty mentor
- The Distinguished Scientist Seminar series
- Laboratory journal clubs
- Program capstone research day oral or poster presentation
- Participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California
- Professional development – workshops and seminars on:
- Science communication, oral and written
- The life as a scientist
- Science career exploration
- Graduate school preparation with graduate coordinators
- Social activities
- A welcome event
- Day trip to Niagara Falls
- A variety of quintessential Toronto activities, such as a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game, a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame, an evening visit to the Art Gallery of Ontario, the CN Tower and Skywalk, Canada Day celebrations and a visit to the Toronto Islands
- Scholar-led activities
All participants in the program receive the following benefits:
- Opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers
- Hands-on laboratory research experience
- $5,000 CAD stipend
- Accommodation at New College on the historic University of Toronto St. George campus
- Paid travel expenses to and from Toronto for the program
- All expenses paid participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Additional benefits include participation in career development events, social activities and sightseeing in Toronto and Ontario and access to the University of Toronto libraries, lectures and more!
Current undergraduate students who are academically excellent, passionate about biomedical science and interested in pursuing a career in science are encouraged to apply.
To apply you must meet the following requirements:
- Current enrollment at an accredited university in Canada as an undergraduate student
- An interest in pursuing an M.Sc., Ph.D. or an M.D./Ph.D.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale)
The Amgen Scholars Canada Program particularly encourages applications from students who identify as part of a historically marginalized group(s) or face barriers to accessing research opportunities. No previous research experience is required to apply to this program but basic laboratory experience, such as an undergraduate laboratory course component, would be an asset.
As an Amgen Scholar you are expected to fulfill the following expectations:
- Full-time participation in the 10 continuous weeks of the research experience (3 June – 9 August 2019)
- Join in laboratory events such as lab meetings and department lectures
- Attend social and professional development events as required by the program
- Participate in the Amgen Scholars launch party and capstone symposium
- Attend the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Live in the campus accommodations at New College on campus in vibrant downtown Toronto
- Complete Amgen Scholars Program evaluations
Note: Amgen Scholars are unable to take courses or to work for the duration of the program.
How many students are accepted to the Amgen Scholars Canada Program?
There are 15 students accepted each year.
Should I contact faculty that I am interested in having serve as a mentor?
No, please do not contact faculty until after you have been accepted into the program.
When will I know if I have been accepted?
All successful and waitlisted applicants will be contacted in March 2019. Unfortunately, we are not able to contact all applicants.
I am currently a student at the University of Toronto. Am I able to apply?
Yes! Current students at the University of Toronto are welcome to apply.