Graduate and Life Sciences Education Undergraduate Student Leadership Award
Eligibility extends to all undergraduate students who hold full time enrollment in a third or fourth year specialist and/or major program in a Basic Science department and in Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology in the Faculty of Medicine.
Candidates for these awards must be nominated by the undergraduate coordinator through their departmental undergraduate program office. Each department should nominate two students for consideration. A previous winner may not be re-nominated for a GLSE Student Leadership Award.
To assess excellence in leadership and in academic activities. The following will be considered in reviewing each nominee:
A. Leadership (University & Community)
- Faculty, department committees and/or governance
- Mentoring (e.g: undergraduate, high school)
- Student associations/unions/clubs
- Student life
- Course and Laboratory Work
- Research Activities
C. Letters of Support & Candidates Statement
- Philosophy, interest and enthusiasm
- Strength of support
The primary nominator who is the undergraduate coordinator will fill out and submit the nomination form and inform the nominee of the nomination. The nominator and nominee are jointly responsible to ensure that required documentation as listed on the nomination form is submitted, including:
- Completed nomination form
- Nominating letter from undergraduate coordinator
(1 page summary of the nominee’s contributions to student leadership and academic activities)
- Nominee’s statement of Leadership Philosophy and Activity (max. 1 page)
- Current Abridged Curriculum Vitae
Nomination files will be reviewed by a GLSE committee and winners recommended to the Vice Dean, Graduate and Life Sciences Education.
Please Note: It is the responsibility of the department to communicate all award/payment/reporting details to the student.